[GNUz] test clock

Douglas Royds gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 16 May 2005 16:57:19 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:
> Hmm I see see ubuntu as good if it has what u want in it, but falls down on hardware support to an extent (viz vatsala's modem!), and package
> selection (unless you want to try and break its philosophy and maybe its whole being) by introducing outside packages.

YOYO with winmodems, whether it's Ubuntu or Suse. The only difference is
that Suse puts the slmodem (and presumably others) on the CD. Suse's
packaging of the slmodem would no more make my modem go than Ubuntu's does
(or Mandrake's, or Debian's).

You don't have to introduce outside packages to Ubuntu. All you have to do
is enter a URL for a "Universe" repository. According to the Ubuntu web-site:

"The universe component is a snapshot of the free, open source, and Linux
world. In universe you can find almost every piece of open source software,
and software available under a variety of less open licences, all built
automatically from a variety of public sources."

I don't know how thorough the coverage is. AKAIK, it includes the entire
Debian unstable set.

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.