[GNUz] test clock

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 16 May 2005 16:41:33 +1200

On Mon, 16 May 2005 16:29:17 +1200
Rik Tindall wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
>
> >No, that post is fine.
> >

> Yes, we got it in the end.

before the distro change wasn't it?

> >changing distros is no substitute for setting the time correctly.
> >

> No it isn't - it's an education.
>
> User Sue was thrilled to be gotten off the clunky (pointer), ugly
> (washed out fonts & colours) Suse 9.2 version of KDE she had from CLUG.

I didn't know they had removed theming support from SuSE?

> Now she has something she likes much better, of a professionally sharp
> appearance, plus more regular support.

dunno that i would put support for ubuntu ahead of SuSE?

> Lots of problems solved at once.
>
> And you are right - we have not balked at the hard tasks (including the
> choice of Gnome). No regrets apparent.

Hmm I see see ubuntu as good if it has what u want in it, but falls down on hardware support to an extent (viz vatsala's modem!), and package
selection (unless you want to try and break its philosophy and maybe its whole being) by introducing outside packages.

Don't get me wrong I do quite like it, but not sure that it is ideal by
any stretch. I still agree with the position you held a year ago when we
did the last installfest, that SuSE is the best for newbies.

Nick