[GNUz] Slashdor discussion of php/mysql/gpl

Zane Gilmore gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:28:38 +1200

Jim Cheetham wrote:
> Yes, it matters - because not all re-use of software is related to
> public release. It's been said that 80% of all software development is
> done for internal- and single-customer use.

Which is why most programmers should not feel threatened by the GPL.

> And "release" also includes "give to a client" in most circumstances.

The GPL guarantees the right of the customer's access to the source code.

Yes, I agree, there is a difference between the GPL vs the BSD approach.
AFAI can see the main difference is motive. What is the author of the
software trying to achieve?

If they see FLOSS as the only/best way to produce or distribute software
then that is what the GPL is supposed to achieve. They are trying to
achive a world where it is very difficult to build a business on
proprietary software distribution. The BSD -style licences give the
software away virtually unconditionally but still allow proprietary
distribution and modification.

If you see proprietary software distribution as immoral/unethical then
the GPL is more consistent with those ends.

--
Zane Gilmore, Analyst / Programmer
Information Services Section, Information Technology Dept,