[GNUz] Slashdor discussion of php/mysql/gpl

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:10:00 +1200

On Jul 20, 2004, at 9:22 PM, InfoHelp wrote:
> Somehow the debate just seems to stand in the way of 'getting on with
> it' (our jobs).
>
> Is the trend one of slow & steady erosion of GNU GPL influence?
>
> If so, need we be concerned?

Absolutely, yes. If the people who are broadly in agreement about the
existance of free software can find show-stopping differences, how are
the closed-source people going to react?

Companies the size of Microsoft need to destroy free software,
especially as it impacts on their profitability. Microsoft are
currently in the throes of converting from a growth company to being a
"mature" stable company, and they don't seem to want to. In order to
continue growing, they must expand into new markets (that's their
problem) without loosing any existing ones (that's "our" problem). As
the recent HP memo release shows, even two years ago Microsoft were
embarking on a patent/legal conflict with free software. If they can
discredit copyleft licenses (GPL and any other license that starts with
"copyright" and then extends rights under certain conditions) all we
will be left with is Public Domain, which provides no protection
against abuse.

The free software community is thinking about their motivations hard at
the moment, and about why they are unwilling to use Public Domain (in
essence). Creative Commons offers a "non-commercial use" license, but
doesn't really define what commercial use is, or why we should want to
deny someone that option. The GPL denies a future user the ability to
distribute without the GPL - pedantically speaking, the GPL is "less
free" than PD. Many hackers are pedants.

> Responsible for releasing software, one would need a specific license.
> Until then, does it matter?

Yes, it matters - because not all re-use of software is related to
public release. It's been said that 80% of all software development is
done for internal- and single-customer use.
And "release" also includes "give to a client" in most circumstances.

-jim