[GNUz] bsd vs gpl (was: Slashdor discussion of php/mysql/gpl)

Martin Bähr gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:15:56 +0200

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:28:38AM +1200, Zane Gilmore wrote:
> The BSD -style licences give the
> software away virtually unconditionally but still allow proprietary
> distribution and modification.
>
> If you see proprietary software distribution as immoral/unethical then
> the GPL is more consistent with those ends.

the php discussion had me browsing around for related things which
eventually led me to this:
http://lwn.net/2001/0301/a/rms-ov-license.php3

here RMS himself is advocating the use of a license which is not the GPL
the article does not state what license it actually is, but i am
guessing that it is something BSD like.

this is one of the rare moments where i see RMS as pragmatic.

greetings, martin.
--
looking for a job doing pike programming, sTeam/caudium/pike/roxen training,
sTeam/caudium/roxen and/or unix system administration anywhere in the world.