[onerng talk] DiceKeys looks very cool

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Tue Sep 22 23:27:17 BST 2020

Exactly right - if you genuinely have the problem of wanting to store some
key data offline for long periods of time, then "generate them properly"
and print them out & use tamper-evident envelopes. If you have the problem
at scale, HSMs are probably in your future, sorry about that. But for an
introduction to the concept, I think these DiceKeys are actually
interesting and seem to be valid.

Dice are not 'ideal' generators, as the majority of options on the market
are made with very sloppy tolerances, which is probably what happened in
the 2014 article with hexadecimal dice not providing an even distribution -
but this is simply the same 'bias' problem that OneRNG has as well, just at
a larger scale. You can hide the bias by reducing your claim to the bits of
entropy per event and then whiten the results ... which is easier to do in
software than with the results of some dice rolls being processed by a
human.

Interestingly enough there are observable 'dice roll fatigue' effects
(can't find a reference at the moment, sorry) where humans tend to change
the amount of effort they put into a shake-and-roll and after a few
iterations it's more like a slide-onto-the-table which leads to slightly
more predictable results. So shaking all the dice in one go, via a bag or
decent cup, is the way to go.

-jim