[onerng talk] An update ....

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.com
Sun Apr 13 10:10:16 BST 2014

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 21:00:52 Peter Gutmann wrote:
> So I'm now the proud owner of a OneRNG prototype (thanks Paul!).  However,
> under Windows it comes up as an unknown device, and writing a Windows driver
> for this is going to be... painful.  OS X support will presumably be just
> as much of a headache.  Given that lots of things (e.g. barcode scanners)
> just emulate an HID device to get around this problem, what about making it
> an HID device, which guarantees instant usability on different
> systems?  You'd need to define a HID descriptor for the RNG's report
> protocol and then it should be (in theory) automatically supported under
> Windows, OS X, and others.

I actually have someone else working on this - theoretically you just take an
arduino .inf file (we both use the same windows standard CDC  class driver, no
need to actually write a new one) and you get something that looks a bit like
a serial port - I think there's some tweak I'm going to have to make to the
current setup of descriptors because windows seems to be confusing the
signalling endpoint (the serial baudrate etc that we ignore) for the real data
one - I'm going to look at it this week, I suspect that windows only supports
systems that have their descriptors are in a particular order (CDC says it
doesn't matter, Linux seems to do the right thing)

> (This is theoretically straightforward but in practice requires quite a bit
> of knowledge of how HID works, so the easiest way to get it done would be
> to find someone who already knows this stuff and see if they could
> contribute a bit of their time rather than trying to DIY).

The big issue we're going to have to deal with is that we still need to sign
the .inf file which means paying Microsoft something (and probably joining some
developer program)

	Paul