[chbot] RS232 FILTER

Martin Towers tinytowers at xtra.co.nz
Tue Oct 25 21:23:42 BST 2022

The simplest do-it-today fix is to use a laptop which has no earth
connection, desktop machines always foolishly connect their interfaces
to earth.

Im am still uneasy about the earths. Is this a new problem? Did it all
work perfectly until...?
Until what? Have you moved a machine from one power socket to another?
Is there an earth wire fallen off? A loose wire in the distribution
board?

If the fault happens when just the cable is connected to the CNC
machine with nothing on the other end then the CNC has a problem. The
shielded RS232 cable should keep the signal wires quiet, if the shield
is connected.
Check that the shell of the RS232 connector is connected to the body of
the machine, especially the position sensors.

Martin