[chbot] Chchrobotics Digest, Vol 150, Issue 32

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 03:59:40 BST 2020

I think we can assume there is sufficient O2 being made by LiquidGas etc
for the foreseeable future.
Adding electrolysis is an added complication and trying to make enough for
hundred of ventilators would be a massive (and I think distracting)
challenge. Venting that volume of H2 sounds like trouble...

I had a look around the MIT design. Looks pretty simple. Basically a
reduction motor that squeezes an ambu bag(BMV). Do those things have a long
lifetime? That design could basically be taken as is and put into low-tech
manufacturing. It is based mainly on off the shelf kit (Arduio UNO, motor
controller, pots, sensors, reduction motors) and uses a PSU power supply.

I saw another design using pneumatic solenoids to do the switching of gas
flow. Probably more durable etc, but less developed than the MIT design.

There does not just have to be one design, IMHO. Two or three designs would
mean that if one design fails there is still another to fall back on, but
too many does dilute efforts.

It seems to me that the basic MIT electronics could be readily adapted to
drive air solenoids rather than an ambu bag, allowing an easy fork in the
design if that made sense.