[chbot] Chchrobotics Digest, Vol 150, Issue 33 - Ventilator Design

Bevin Brett bevin_brett at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 03:59:24 BST 2020

PS:   I haven't looked closely at the MIT design.  I did look closely over the Challenge requirements.

There are some requirements in the Challenge that the MIT design might not meet.

Ventilators have basically push-air-in release-air-out.

The push needs a trigger.  It can be simple - N times per minute.  It can be "when the pt breathes in, start pushing to help.  Also start pushing if they don't after N seconds"

The push needs an amount limit.  It can be 0.7liters.  It can be upto 40cmH2O.  It can be both.

The push needs a time limit - no more than N seconds, with at least M seconds between pushes

The released air must go further out, not back along the input tube

And the release-air-out also needs Positive End Expiration Pressure - restrict the output flow in some manner so the lungs keep at least upto 20cmH2O air pressure

I don't know which of these the MIT design meets.  I don't see an obvious set of triggers and the PEEP support may be rudimentary

I can think of several easy ways to add these

/Bevin