[chbot] 3D printer of choice for 2020

Geoff sdfgeoff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:04:02 GMT 2020

For linux CAD software:

 - solvespace. http://solvespace.com/index.pl A very simple parametric cad
modeller. Give this a shot if you've never worked with parametric stuff
before. Small binary + simple (though slightly unusual) interface. Can't do
some operations such as bevels/chamfers.
 - freecad.  https://www.freecadweb.org/ Another parametric modeller, much
more powerful than solvespace. Works well for individual parts, but doesn't
have a proper process for assemblies. Large community + tutorials
 - salome. https://www.salome-platform.org/ I had never heard of this until
a week or two ago. Very feature complete - better than freecad in my
opinion. Multi-part files, assemblies, FEA/FEM, the complete works. The
only thing I haven't managed to do yet is to export an STL..... If you're
using freecad and think it's the only linux parametric CAD, give salome a
try. Probably not beginner friendly as there aren't many tutorials for it.
 - blender. https://www.blender.org/ This isn't a parametric modeller, but
is a vertex/polygon modeller. It's up to you to make sure things are
dimensioned accurately and meshes are water-tight. As a plus it can also
generate pretty renders and animations of your models! Be prepared for an
"oh my goodness, buttons" when you first try it. Many many tutorials and
excellent community. But it's not really designed for mechanical design.

As for printers, I'm very happy with my snapmaker, but it's way to small.
The newer versions are bigger but are pretty expensive. If you want to give
laser cutting/CNC routing a go, they do that as well....
I have a friend with a creatily ender 3 which works very well (and is very
quiet when running) and is possibly within your size/price requirements.