[chbot] chemical milling

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Dec 7 00:02:51 GMT 2020

David, Andrew,

Comments and links appreciated.

I have heard similar warnings about laser-cutting Cu before, but am not
sure if it is urban legend or not.

The beam out of a 70W or so CO2 LASER emerges as a cylinder a few mm
diameter (maybe 4mm?), and around 10um wavelength. The light then
bounces around fixed and movable mirrors until it hits the final mirror
where is is directed down, towards the bed. On it's way down, it passes
through a convex lens, focussing the beam, and increasing the power
density at some focal point - maybe 50mm.

This is where you now have many tens of watts of coherent light arriving
at a final diameter of perhaps 50 microns. This is an incredible power
density, and the very reason that the laser-cutter can do useful work.

So now we hit a piece of reflective material; some of the energy does
useful work, lots gets reflected. The focus has been lost with this
reflected beam, and it rattles around inside the cutting chamber. Some
of the energy hits the perspex observation window. Perspex however is
opaque to 10um and converts any remaining reflections into heat.

Even directly under the cutting head, perspex can only be cut to maybe
10mm (if you are using a slow head), but the reflections are going to be
several orders of magnitude lower than this.

I am not advocating using an LC with the lid open and the safeties
disabled, but I can't see many problems with running a LASER over
something reflective within the context above.

Anyway, appreciate anyone pointing out holes in my argument since this
is a safety issue.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for you comments.