[chbot] Ferric Chloride

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Sun Dec 6 23:08:14 GMT 2020

> Ferric chloride is nasty

Yes. Stains forever, and I'm unsure of chemical stability over time.

> Try hydrogen peroxide and hydrochloric acid (or hydrogen peroxide and
> vinegar). Instructions on the web. I have tried it and it works.

I don't recall which hydro... I used exactly many years ago I last
etched a PCB, but I remember switching away from ferric III chloride to
whatever hydro... it was (wasn't there a hydroxide involved too?), and
life became much easier.

I'd take the route Andrew suggests first and not bother with the ferric
stuff any more.

Keep your mouth and teeth watered for pH control, if you do metal
etching a lot, I've heard some artists say it'll strip the enamel off
your teeth eventually. Easy precaution, not worth taking the risk.