[chbot] Front panels (Re: 'Printing' an enclosure)

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 01:20:00 BST 2014

On 21/09/14 00:15, Richard Jones wrote:
> An alternative method for making your front panel is to draw up what
> you want in a drawing package (Eagle works for me).  Print the design
> on paper and glue stick it on to your box. Then drill and cut out the
> holes with needle files, abra file etc. Unwanted paper will wash off
> under the tap. I find I can get accurate and repeatable results this
> way. A bit low tech, but quick and cheap.
>
> Richard
>
> [...]

I highly recommend Qcad for this and other 2D drawing jobs that need to
be completed to scale. You can then also include any labelling and
scales for knobs etc. in the same drawing. Once printed, the paper can
be laminated onto the actual front plate material by painting it with
epoxy resin or a clear varnish. You can then still drill and cut your
openings (carefully, so that the rest of the front plate printing isn't
damaged). Alternatively, I have also made front panels from PCB material
in the past - it has reasonable mechanical properties for that purpose,
and often there is some of it floating around anyway. Or, if you are
getting a whole PCB panel made anyway, and the actual electronic PCB is
small, just use the rest of the PCB panel for the front panel.

I also remember making an entire enclosure from PCB material a long time
ago - the front, top, bottom, left and right sides were all soldered
together from the inside along the edges, and I then soldered some brass
nuts into the back corners and along the edges to mount the back panel.
This technique can also provide some RF shielding.

Kind regards,

Helmut.