[chbot] Chchrobotics Digest, Vol 22, Issue 9

Gary T grogyan at woosh.co.nz
Tue Jul 7 11:00:03 BST 2009

> >------------------------------
> >
> >Message: 3
> >Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 16:49:46 +1200
> >From: Paul Davey <plmdvy at gmail.com>
> >Subject: Re: [chbot] Parallax Prop Plug
> >To: Christchurch Robotics <chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
> >
> >should be a 3.3v serial with DTR "not"ed to the reset line so that the
> >PC can trigger a reset.
> >
> >should be able to use a standard serial port with a level converter yes?
>

> > >Hi Gary,
> > >
> > >I found a schematic for the Sanguino here:
> > >http://sanguino.cc/1-0kitassembly
> > >
> > >Your modified prop plug will need a pin out adaptor to work with the
> > >Sanguino as the pin out is a little different, otherwise it looks like it
> > >will be fine.
> > >
> > >Richard

> > >http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/PropellerTools/tabid
> > /143/ProductID/398/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

> > >End of Chchrobotics Digest, Vol 22, Issue 7
> >

> >End of Chchrobotics Digest, Vol 22, Issue 8
> >*******************************************
>

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 07:48:21 +1200
>From: Charles Manning <cdhmanning at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [chbot] Chchrobotics Digest, Vol 22, Issue 8
>To: Christchurch Robotics <chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
>
>I'm a bit confused as to what the Prop Plug is doing.
>Is it just being used as TTL leve serial to USB adapter (ie replacing
>RS232 drivers + USB to RS232 adapter) or is it being used as a ISP
>programmer?
>
>Assuming for a moment that you're using it as a serial to USB adapter,
>there does seem to be a slight issue. The prop plug reset is open
>collector and the sanguino reset line is driven through a capacitor.
>That would indicate that the sanguino needs to have an active driver
>(since the capacitor defeats an OC driver).. You can probably achieve
>this by putting a 1K resistor between 5V and the prop plug reset line.

I had a brief thought that maybe one of the other lines need toggling
today, but after reading your suggestion I had a closer look at the schematic.

The !Reset line is being held high on the board, with a physical
switch to pull it into reset mode.

Face-palm, doh!
Its one of those moments when you could just kick yourself,

Looking ever closer at the schematics of the prop plug and Sanguino
board, its the RTS line that should be toggled, not the DTR which the
prop plug uses.
So i'm not too sure how I can mod it, if I can mod it, by taking the
pin from the connector and somehow solder it to a QFN package.
This is still quite pointless as i'm using a manual switch for reset.

>When you say "not working" what do you mean? There are a few things
>that need to be right: resets, signal driving, baud rate,...

I mean that the Arduino software doesn't know how to get the prop
plug talking with the Sanguino.

If I can't resolve this, then i'll get a more compatible cable, which
I just feed in with my next order of parts for my project.

Cheers

Gary T