[101admin] Kite101

Andrew Beattie 101admin@ourshack.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:03:28 +0000

Andrew Ghezzi wrote:
> Lets talk a bit about reviews.  I hate them....or
> better put, I hate writing them because I know I'm not
> objective. What I love are reviews written BY newbies.
>  Like Ellen said, being a beginner kiter works towards
> her advantage for evaluating beginner kites.
>
> What to do here?  I'd love to have some sort of
> "standard" review for anyone to complete.

I think that first, we investigate what is out there.  I don't
think there is much and I think that what *is* there is old.
Check:
 - Google.com with the keywords "kite review"
 - Peter Peter's site.  I think he did quite a lot of work on
   it years ago.
 - KiteLines at KiteLife.com

> I'd love to have some sort of
> "standard" review for anyone to complete.  Like
> ranking price, value, strength, construction, extras
> all on a scale seperately from 1-10.  Then add a
> little text box for comments.

Sounds good.

White it and it'll become the standard :-)

Hmmm...

I wonder if we can leverage some of the work that the dealers
do?  Some of them have fairly comprehensive reviews of many
kites.  Maybe for each kite we pick on, we could do:
 - Our discussion about the kite, particularly how it relates
   to a >new flier<
 - Read a review of this kites in the Kitelines Archive
 - Read a review of this kite by Peter Peters
 - Read a Review of this kite by Dealer X
 - Read a Review of this kite by Dealer Y
 - Read what has been said about this kite in the rec.kites archives
   (When I ever get round to bringing them back...)

Note that we would have to be careful ensure that we are fair to
the dealers, and select on the value of the individual reviews,
without bias to this dealer or that...

Hmmm... I think I'll go round and change all the OFF SITE links
so that they open a new window, rather than take you away from
kite101.

--
Andrew Beattie

The LAZIEST way to find kite pages ---------> http://www.kitez.com/
********** Win a T-shirt at http://www.kitez.com/tshirt.html **********
My own stuff (Shona, Chevron, Veronica) ----> http://www.tug.com/
Resources for rec.kites --------------------> http://www.kites.tug.com/
Friendly, flexible host for your net stuff -> http://www.ourshack.com/

kite, n: A piece of negotiable paper representing a fictitious
financial transaction and used temporarily to sustain credit or
raise money.