[101admin] Kites101

Dan Millsip 101admin@ourshack.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:01:05 -0800

Hello All,

At 07:02 PM 01/20/2001 +0000, Andrew Beattie wrote:
>> Its this project still active?.... haven't heard much lately....
>
>Yes.
>
>I've said "sod it" and registered kite101.com

Sod it. That's a new one for me. Where I come from sod means grass. Ah...
now I get it. <grin> Anyway, good on you Andrew, for taking the initiative.

>There is an empty website there, ready to accept any HTML
>that folk might care to write.

Cool.
----

A while back I built a site for a client and the site won several web
awards for the simplicity of it's graphical interface. The company has
recently been purchased by another company and the rights to the interface
have reverted back to me. I think with a few hours of tweaking and
massaging, this interface would work well for Kite101 and would allow for a
substantial amount of expansion of content. All the html for the pages is
done -- with a bit of remapping the structure, it could provide a long-term
template. All that would be required, is for this group to input the
content. I'd be happy to donate/give/whatever, this interface for the
purpose of this project if all of you want to use it.

There is however, one major problem with the interface -- it's green and
yellow, which in my opinion just won't work here at all (trust me on this
one). A change of colour and the addition of a Kite101 logo, and I think it
would work fine. Unfortunately, the site is no longer online and since it
was very back-end driven would be difficult to recreate so that you can see
it (I can come up with a sample easier).

I'd be very happy to contribute my time to make the colour changes and come
up with a sample Kite101 logo if this group will provide me the following:

1.) Prefered colour schemes (i.e., main colour, secondary colours).

2. A site map for a static website showing sections and subsections (see
below).

3.) 2-3 weeks to produce a revised sample of the interface to show you.

Following approval of the sample I would then require:

4.) The completed site map from item 2, so that I can make the navigation
buttons for all sections and sub-sections.

5.) Flexibility on the time frame to complete the template, as I have to
work it into my schedule (I'll do my best to have the completed templates
in 2-4 weeks after everyone approves the sample).

6.) Acceptance that Ray Bethell and I are currently putting together a
section on Ray's new site for beginners to kiting that is similar to what
we are doing here -- this however, will most likely be a good thing for
this project as we are already producing graphics for many items (including
things such as diagrams of how to tie a larks head knot, the wind window,
etc.) Another positive aspect is that this section of Ray's site is going
to remain very, very basic, making a link to Kite101 a natural step for the
beginner to learn more.

Ray and I met earlier this evening to finalize this section of his site and
I'm certain that he wouldn't object to the graphics being used on this
project as well as linking to it. In fact, I think he'd be more than happy
to do so.

Following is a sample site map as I mentioned in item 2) based on the
content of the Flying Tips section of Ray's site:

Buying a Kite
   - What type of kite to buy
   - Where to buy a kite
   - Accessories that you will need

Where to Fly Your Kite
   - How to recognize a good flying location

Setting Up Your Kite
   - Kite assembly basics
   - Checking line length
   - Tying a Larks Head Knot
   - Checking the Bridle

First Flight Tips
   - Controlling Your Kite
   - Understanding Wind Speed and the Wind Window
   - Tuning the Bridle
   - Basic Field Repairs

Kite Safety Rules
----

As I mentioned, the content on Ray's site is going to be VERY basic and
will not be updated unless kites as we know them change drastically. I
expect that Kite101 will delve much deeper, giving more comprehensive
detail on each of the topics than we will on Ray's site, as well as many
more features (such as future additions of Kite Buddies and Store and Club
Directories, etc.)

So, what I need to come up with a sample interface to show you is a bit of
input from everyone here. Let me know what colour schemes you want to use
and a basic indication of what type of 'feel' that you want, i.e., bright,
happy, scholastic, subdued, conservative, etc. and I'll get right on it.

If you want to see some samples of my web work, visit my website at
http://www.renweb.net

If you want to see how Ray's site is coming along, e-mail me privately and
I'll send you the address to have a sneak peek. (Yes, I know in my earlier
post I said that the site would be ready a couple of weeks ago, but we ran
into a couple of problems and I've been off with a kick-ass bad cold since
then -- feeling much better now and even got a four hour session in today
with my Pairs partner -- it was great therapy flying in the pouring rain!)

Please let me know how you feel about all this and if it's indicated to me
that this group approves of what I've outlined here, I'll proceed to come
up with a sample interface.

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Dan.

Dan Millsip
Renaissance Web Creation Inc.    Website: http://www.renweb.net/
23195 96th Ave, PO Box 836       Tel/Fax: 604-513-1192
Fort Langley, BC V1M 2S2         E-mail:  dan@renweb.net