[chbot] Christchurch Robotics Group at the Nationals Event

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 21 08:36:58 GMT 2021

Hi All,

Anyone interested in following up on this offer ?

Regards,

Mark

-----------------

Kia ora koutou,

It sure feels like a lifetime since I was last down in Christchurch
meeting you all at your den, meeting the team and exploring the neat Men
Shed space you have there!

I must apologise that I haven’t been more connected since that initial
meeting. As you can imagine, the year got somewhat distracted with other
htings to manage and I wasn’t able to prioritise working with your group
more.

In a turn of events, our large event, the VEX Robotics Competition
National Championship has been postponed twice, and we are now splitting
this into a series with the main larger event staying in Auckland and
then a South Island one in Christchurch on Saturday 20^th March hosted
at Christchurch Boys’ High School.

Alongside the competition, I’m hoping to showcase a number of booths
with neat activities for the public, or a chance for people to learn
more and find out more stuff about things going on in Canterbury in the
STEM space. I recall that recruitment of younger folks into your group
was something you wanted to work on, particularly when there is so much
knowledge and talent amongst your group that can go back towards
mentoring younger teams who have never given radio or electronics
tinkering a go.

Anyway – all that to say, would the Christchurch Robotics Group be
potentially interested in joining us at our event with a stand, maybe
with various radios over the years to display, or a small activity that
people can pick up and try and have a play with?

Shy of that, even a few A5 style pamphlets you might have about getting
involved with ham radio could be of interest to people who may not know
about your group and wish to come give it a go?

Would be lovely to have you there if you might be interested in joining
us as part of the outreach space for this day 😊If not, please do feel
free to drop by the school and check out the competition regardless. I
believe Sophie should be able to sell you all on what VRC is compared to
VEX IQ a lot better than I can – I’ve seen some awesome photos of her
working on the VEX IQ stuff!

Cheers,

Janet Van
National Manager