[chbot] Recommendations for fibre in CHCH

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 23:55:01 GMT 2021

Static IP addresses are usually not part of the cheaper deals. Since the world has run out of
IPv4 addresses ISPs have been using CGNAT wherever they can, which makes their lives a lot
easier and cheaper than reserving static IP addresses for people who don't need them. CGNAT can
be causing problems, though, for some applications where this may not be so obvious. VoIP / SIP
telephony is one of these cases - thanks to the completely messed-up protocol structure of SIP,
handling VoIP calls over a connection with CGNAT (where your IP address changes every few
minutes or so) is not as straightforward as it would be if whoever invented SIP had chosen a
better layered protocol architecture...

I mentioned before that I had problems running VoIP calls through my "default" MyRepublic
router, and that it took some discussion and time to get them to replace the router firmware
with a version that actually works with SIP.

Kind regards,

Helmut.

On 05/03/2021 10:44, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
[...]
> Does the cost include a static IP?

[...]