[chbot] CovidCard implementation - how expensive should it be to manufacture 1M of them?

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 07:09:21 GMT 2021

You don't need a 100% success rate in the comms.

Unless someone is coughing straight in your face you need a reasonably long
time in the location with an infected person - at least a few minutes - to
pick up sufficient viral loads.

Any reasonable BLE system will be able to discover beacons  within a few
seconds. You only need to get a small % of beacons to achieve that.

Still, a cellphone based BLE app makes more sense - people don't leave
their phones behind and they keep the battery charged.

The biggest hassle is still trying to roll out a million of these, keep the
firmware up to date and all that.

Logistics kills many otherwise reasonable ideas.