[chbot] Playing with a Pi 400.

Mike Field hamster at snap.net.nz
Sun Jan 24 10:22:07 GMT 2021

The Pi's user experience is very basic. It doesn't feel that snappy, but
browsers work fine. This is most likely due to having a pretty basic
video GPU.

Currently I'm working on a drum machine as a micro-controller project,
and have a proof of concept C program running on Linux.

"touch *.c; time make drummer" takes 0.47s on my i5-1035G1 laptop. It
takes 0.53s on the Raspberry Pi 400.

Rendering around 5 minutes of drum loops (a 55MB WAV file) takes 1.79s
on the laptop and 1.89s on the Pi.

So for none-demanding programming the performance is very close to a
$1,500 laptop, (except the Pi400 has only 4GB, not 8GB RAM). Not bad for
under NZ$200 for Pi400+SSD.

Mike