[chbot] Insulation Tester

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jan 24 09:41:17 GMT 2021

Hi Richard,

I built an HV insulation tester many years ago which plugs into a
VARIAC. The output network is such that output current is limited to
50uA at 5kVDC so can test reverse breakdown of such rectifiers as
1N4007s without damaging them. The only thing that might kill you is if
you left the unit charging up an HV cap over a few minutes, then
discharged the cap across your heart.

The modern insulation used on enamelled copper wire (even the thin
stuff) seem to tolerate 5kV OK. I have also tried the lowest voltage
cable I could find (CAT5) and strapped a twisted pair across the unit at
full smoke without incident.

For appliance testing, the HV test methods you outline seem a good
start. Add an inspection step to check integrity of double-insulated
wiring, and that the earth wire can carry 10A with less than 1V drop and
I think you may be getting pretty close.

If you are not interested in appliance testing, then what are you trying
to do ?

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/448368/barrier-and-slot-within-reduced-area-on-a-pcb
looks interesting

And, yes, I think moisture and dust are high up there on causes for HV
breakdown. Nothing like a nice damp pile of dust on a PCB to ruin your
day. And of course HV can electrostatically attract dust; good reason to
put HV electronics in an dust sealed box.

The world starts to get a bit odd at 1500VDC (the onset of EHT), but I
suspect you may only be interested in good-old-mains.

Many people on this list are way more knowledgable than me on this
fascinating topic, so I hope one will pop up and correct all of my errors.

Regards,

Mark