[chbot] [OT] plumbing parts for a Gemini Shower

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Thu Jan 21 21:30:58 GMT 2021

> https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/speedfit-shut-off-tap-15mm-x-15mm-white/p/136778
>
> Cut the PEX or PB pipe, shorten it slightly, then with the tap open slide it onto the pipe. Job done.

The seal is pressing on the outside of the pipe, so whereever you cut
your pipe, you need it to have no surface marks or other damage where it
sits inside the fitting. I found it easier/safer to chamfer the pipe
ends a bit and put some tap grease on before carefully pushing them into
a similar coupling without dislodging the O-rings.

After several uses of the roadside shutoff valve, I found it worked
better each time it got turned off hard, and then turned on again. I
figure that was dislodging deposits around the sealing surfaces.
There'll be similar issues with anything new you install - valves that
are open forever don't close properly when needed eventually.

Try turning the shutoff off and on a few times and see if it makes it
work properly again. Preferably do this before needing it in an
emergency. That reminds me, ...