[chbot] High voltage batteries and electrolytic capacitors

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 07:13:00 BST 2020

A big echo for that comment! I would not only say it is "also
important", but it actually is essential. And one reason for saying this
is that, while explosions are often spectacular and hazardous, and
sometimes even fun (type 3 fun usually), most electrolytic capacitors do
not actually fail in an explosive way in real life. The more common case
is that the designer heeds at least the maximum voltage rating with a
more or less conservative rating, and possibly also the ripple current
rating. But even so, electrolytic capacitors are one of the things in
life that show a very continuous range of characteristics in a number of
ways, and one of them is how they age. With a liquid electrolyte inside,
and the can plugged with a rubber bung, there is that possibility that
some solvent molecules escape as the inside pressure increases. There
are also some score marks on the top of the aluminium can to allow for
spontaneous decompression when the pressure accidentally increases so
sharply that it cannot be released past the rubber bung. Many normally
operating designs will eventually lead to capacitor failure as the
electrolyte dries out due to the loss of solvent over the years.

Soooo... the loss of solvent is mainly driven by temperature, and
particularly high temperatures. The electrolyte temperature is the sum
of the ambient temperature and the differential achieved through
internal heating. A constant and perfectly smooth DC voltage applied to
an intact capacitor (one without DC shorts) contributes nothing to
internal heating (but an excessive DC voltage can still lead to
catastrophic failure by breaking through the oxide layers on, and the
spacer between, the electrodes). But the ripple current obviously
generates heat inside the capacitor. And while it isn't hard to
deliberately feed through a ripple current high enough to explode a
capacitor, even a moderate to high current well within spec will
contribute to the ageing of the component.

So where does this lead? Well, it would be easy to over-spec
conservatively for both voltage and ripple current. But this has
numerous disadvantages: it costs, it adds size and weight, and it may
come at the expense of increased parasitic properties that are
counterproductive for other reasons. But electrolytic capacitors also
come in different temperature ratings, and that helps where things may
get warm... Everything else being equal, a 105C rated component will
live longer than an 85C rated one. It may cost more, but depending on
design life that may be well worth it.

Capacitor de-rating calculations should be easy to find somewhere
between component data sheets and application notes...

Kind regards,

Helmut.