[chbot] Wanting real data - How best to mount sensors outside in the elements?

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Fri May 29 03:17:02 BST 2020

> Hey all list dwellers,
>
> I'm looking for advise, suggestions and general pointers to what other
> have done in order to get various types of sensors working out in the real
> world - that is beyond the bench.
>
> What sensors perform better / marginal, what methods provide the best
> mechanical / environmental protection.
>
> Where should I position say an outdoors temperature sensor?
>
> Mostly I'm after less of the theory and more of the I tried this but it
> mutated a spider which ate my cat kind of thing. So don't do that.
>
> Thanks for reading, stay safe. Wash your hands.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

I've been using 1-wire ds18b20 for some 15 years and the ones that are in
a sealed stainless tube seem very reliable outside - I have one on the
roof of the pump shed in full sun to get the sky temperature and one in a
hedge for the shade temperature on my irrigation controller. They is used
for frost detection. Hadley down at Nicegear has them in stock, in fact
the ones I'm using at present I got from him some 5 years ago.

The BME280 I use in my weather station does temperature, humidity and
pressure and is fine so long as it is kept out of direct influence with a
Stevenson screen (its a bit delicate). I made mine from upturned flowerpot
saucers, threaded studding with spacers between like this:
http://gilks.ath.cx/gallery3/Building-a-PJ-inverter/IMG_5661

Other sensors, I would go for automotive types are they are going to be
very robust to start with!

--
Robin Gilks zl3rob/g8ecj
Internet: g8ecj at gilks.org    http://www.gilks.org