[chbot] Wanting real data - How best to mount sensors outside in the elements?

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Thu May 28 12:45:40 BST 2020

> What sensors perform better / marginal

Temperature: DS18B20, digital, calibrated, fairly accurate.
Forget all the analog temperature sensors.

Air pressure: Bosch BMP085, or the newer ones BMP180 / BMP280 / BMP388.

Light: Vishay TEPT4400, TEPT5600, TEMPT6000 or any of the same range.
Adjusted to human eye characterstics, analog, linear to light intensity.
Let me know if you find a simple circuit to go over 6 orders of
magnitude... The physically larger ones have more reasonable resistance
range, so it might pay to use 3mm or 5mm round ones instead of the SMD
version.

Humidity: Sensirion SHT15, or whatever is new now. Very expensive,
calibrated, accurate. The cheap ones apparently are painful, like AM2302
or all that Aliexpress stuff for Arduino, the specs aren't so flash and
somewhere I found a report of someone having tested them long term, who
found they mostly lasted a few months to a year before becoming
practically or literally useless. Honeywell may have some useful
sensors.

> Where should I position say an outdoors temperature sensor?

Under a sun shield! Ventilated position.