[chbot] Microcontroller graphics library

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Fri May 22 11:42:53 BST 2020

> Hi All
>
> I've got a bit of free time on my hands and am having a wee dabble with
> micros.
>
> I'm looking for a lightweight microcontroller oriented graphics library
> with the following:
>
> Absolute must haves:
> * Linux development host. Not negotiable.
> * Must support STM32Fx micros. Others a bonus, but STM32Fx is must-have.
> * C or C++. No weirdo languages.
>
> Nice to haves:
> * Portable to other micros
> * Free
> * GUI bulder etc.
>
> So far I have found that while almost all the STM32 tool offerings work on
> Linux their GUI tool needs Windows. Pah!
>
> So far I have found LVGL which looks promising. MIT licensed. All code
> available.  Light weight. PC-based simulator (cross-platform). Very Linux
> friendly.
>
> Any comments/experiences welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Charles

I've used STEmWin, an object only library for the stm32, based on EmWin
V5.4x from Segger. Runs OK on the F4 and even better on the F7 as the
example low level driver makes use of the DMA2D graphics conversion
capability.
The stm32f7x9 jpeg hardware en/decoder is supposedly supported by it but I
couldn't find it anywhere - I wrote my own.
It is less dependent on Windows than TouchGFX and I've run the STEmWin GUI
builder under wine OK but prefer to hand craft things (machine
code/assembler background!)
Although EmWin is portable, STEmWin looks for the CRC block to be
initialised before it will run (but EmWin costs!)
The manuals are pretty good and there is integration with FreeRTOS
available and support for several compilers, including of course gcc.

--
Robin Gilks