[chbot] CovidCard implementation - how expensive should it be to manufacture 1M of them?

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 01:57:06 BST 2020

The Silabs parts use a bit less power and there are some with a very
interesting "wake on RF" mode which can extend the life of a CR2032 to
something life 5 years.

However the "wake on RF" needs pretty high RF levels to trigger.

The actual manufacturing cost per se can be low, but the engineering cost
and logistics of trying to roll out , say, 3 million units in less than a
year precludes many of the cheaper options (eg. the sub-$ micros used in
the tags).

I still think the easiest way to achieve the basic goal is to use a phone
app that sends and listens for BLE beacons. This might mean you need to
charge your phone twice as often. For the 10% of adults that don't have
cell phones it would be cheaper to buy them $50 phones than it would be to
develop a CV card.

That could all be rolled out in less than 3 months.