[chbot] Willowbank fibre network.

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 10:15:51 GMT 2019

Splicing single-mode fibre is high-precision work, and unless you want to spend big on tools, it
might be best to buy pre-made cables with connectors at the end. But do you actually need
single-mode? This would cost more than multi-mode or copper, and not only due to the dearer
cables and connectors, but also transceivers... And if any of the connection or transceiver bits
are installed outside (or in unheated buildings), where they are subject to substantial
temperature and humidity swings, that could lead to trouble later on.
Also consider maintenance: what do you do if a link fails? Ethernet cable testers are cheap and
ubiquitous. Do you have any fault finding equipment for optical fibre installations?
Copper wiring is less susceptible to that kind of issues. And if interference really is a
concern (could probably be determined experimentally?), why not use shielded cables?

Kind regards,

Helmut.