[chbot] PWM solar charge controllers

Trevor Wignall zl3adz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 09:28:02 GMT 2019

How are you measuring the voltage across the gel cell? If you are using a
standard voltmeter on a DC range, then you are already looking at the
average, and 18V would seem to be far too high. If you are using a scope,
what is the minimum voltage?
Is the solar charge controller intended for 12 Volt lead-acid systems? Or a
higher voltage battery system?
What current is flowing at 18V? It may be your battery pack is very
discharged and the 18V is a trickle charge to try to get some conductivity
in the battery.
Another possibility is that your gel cell is much smaller than the charge
controller is designed for. After all, 200W at 14V is around 14 Amperes. I
would be uncomfortable using that on a battery much less than 70
Ampere-Hours (5C).
Cheers
Trevor