[chbot] PWM solar charge controllers

Matthew Bridle mnbridle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 08:40:46 GMT 2019

Good evening all

I have a quick question about PWM solar charge controller.  I recently
bought a 12V 200W solar panel kit from Jaycar, with a built-in PWM charge
controller.  In full sunlight it's putting 18V across my 12V gel cell
(albeit a PWM signal at ~250Hz) which seems a bit high.

>From my understanding the charging voltage for a gel cell is supposed to be
about 14.4 to 15.0V - do I risk cooking my battery by connecting it to
these panels, or being that it is PWM (so average voltage is less than
peak) is this normal operation?

Thanks for your help!
Matthew

--