[chbot] crypto coins, miners etc

Darran darran at nzllive.com
Fri Feb 23 07:38:00 GMT 2018

Hi

Simeon is right, most of the big mining is done by organisations in
China or Russia. They are either borrowing power directly from hydro
stations (there are some very good photo essays of these setups) or they
are proper companies (maybe state backed).

Some countries are, or have, setup their own cryto-currencies which I
personally think will be the way crypto is accepted by banks etc. Russia
is setting up the crypto ruble, there is the (unofficial) US Dot and NZD
which are all tied to the local currency. As a retailer, you would not
want to accept Bitcoin if it is worth $16,000 and day and $14,000 the
next. This is where a fixed cryto-currency would get more traction
because of its stability.

I would like to also talk about the blockchain because crypto-currency
is only part of it. The blockchain has a large number of applications if
you are looking for a secure public 'database'/ledger of transactions.
In the UK they are putting land deed information on the blockchain. This
information is already public and being on a blockchain is
security/distributed for ease of keeping the data. There are plans to
put medical records (well the pointers to the records) on a blockchain
to help share the latest records between medical institutes and keep
track of updates.

Thanks

Darran