[chbot] ESCs for RC models

Geoff sdfgeoff at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 06:22:16 GMT 2018

Many RC car escs have a brake which turns on when you go from forwards to
backwards. This is quite poor for skid steer vehicles. At least, that was
my experience with two different car ESC's. I think you'll be hard pressed
to find some without brakes. You'll also have issues finding ones rated at
24v as this is 6s lipo which is higher than most RC gear, and higher than
any cheap RC gear.

There are some not-so-expensive dedicated motor drivers such as the Cytron
13A which, coupled with a microcontroller to decode the servo signal, would
work well. We used the cytron 30A for a fairly serious robotics project
(mobile robot weighing ~150kg) and they worked very well - much better than
other supposedly higher rated controllers)
https://www.robotshop.com/en/cytron-13a-5-30v-single-dc-motor-controller.html
However, sourcing these locally is likely to be impossible.

Geoff