[chbot] Discussion point ! Cell apps

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 9 23:48:55 BST 2018

On Fri 10 Aug 2018 09:54:08 NZST +1200, Andrew Errington wrote:

> This problem disappears if you have a browser.

The problem with BUIs is it's often not that responsive, and detailed
interactions with the user aren't really efficiently possible. You're
also into truckloads of browser differences. That's my impression
anyway, I haven't tried implementing it.

Then there are all those javascript "frameworks" around, but I'm never
quite sure whether they're more interested in snooping on me and
tracking everything I'm doing. Why else would somewebsite.net always
load that stuff from dodgyprovider.com? And of course it's absolutely
impossible to make a website these days without poogle shittolytics,
which is a sum total of 0.0% for my benefit.

> Frankly I despise apps. Or rather, I despise how they are used. Often they
> simply duplicate the function of the website, so what is the point (other
> than they can get access to your phone's id and contact list)?

If it's an app supplied by a business they must be too stupid to make a
website for themselves which works, or mobile browsers are too
underperforming. No wait, now I get it. Their exclusive purpose is to
dig their claws into my flesh, steal my address book, snoop on what I'm
doing, and open a direct channel to flood me with their shitvertising.
The temptation is trivially easy to resist.