[chbot] New valve

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 07:18:57 GMT 2017

On 21/11/17 16:00, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Tue 21 Nov 2017 13:02:05 NZDT +1300, Marshland Engineering wrote:
>
>> odd. It was common to see valve amps with 10% distortion figures quoted and
>> transistor with 0.01 %
>>
>> When you overdrive valves, as the base guitarists did, it really didn't sound
>> that bad.
>>
>> Roll on valves.
> You are making assumptions - that valve amps are the *only* way to
> create deliberate distortion^H^H^H sound effects. I disagree with the
> assumption and consequently with the conclusion... You couldn't create
> even-order distortions on top of those 0.01%? The most major downside
> seems to be the aesthetics compared with a glowing bump of 1920
> technology that looks cool at night...
>
> Volker

The question also is whether the amplifier is seen as part of the
musical "instrument"... some people see it like that, and the distortion
characteristics of valves are seen as desirable by some. But I agree -
surely it must be possible to replicate the same filter characteristics
on all-semiconductor hardware. A further point to consider are the
distortions introduced by the electrical-to-sound transducer: the best
loudspeakers usually add nonlinear distortions of several percent, very
good headphones a bit less. And then there is the audible difference
between harmonic and non-harmonic distortions...

Kind regards,

Helmut.