[chbot] 60 min of free power per day

Colin Isenman cisenman at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 25 10:34:34 BST 2017

Mark,

Same problem as solar power in Chch. You get it when you don't need it and don't get it when you do. If you could reliably and economically store the energy then all may be well, but batteries fail the second test today. Under floor heating and cooling with high thermal mass seems to be the way to go for solar, and a free hour of power just adds to the fun. Not much use unless you build from scratch to cope with it.
Water heating is typically limited to 3kW or so for a short period, and what to do with the rest??
I did contemplate using a swimming pool as a heat sink/source for heat pumps but that also fails the economics test. Free just isn't what it used to be . . .

Colin