[chbot] Deep Cycle Batteries for caravan

Richard Jones richard.jones.1952 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 09:23:45 BST 2017

I have an AmpTech 12V 120AH about 9 years of age that I can recommend apart
from its weight. Regrettably I had to leave the battery fully discharged on
my yacht through June and July and now it is sufficiently recovered to
start a 13HP marine diesel engine which it is not designed to do. I have no
idea yet what capacity remains. The starter battery alongside it that
suffered the same treatment is wrecked.

Link to Deep Cycle Battery Photo: https://goo.gl/photos/MGp3mjpznUfSQQWq8

Link to battery specification:
http://www.superchargebatteries.co.nz/product-range/others/amp-tech/

This jump starter got the engine going and saved me 3 days removing
batteries, charging and re-fitting:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Arrival-High-Capacity-68800mAh-Car-Jump-Starter-Mini-Portable-Emergency-Battery-Charger-for-Petrol/32458701989.html

I am in the process of fitting a voltage sensitive relay that will separate
the starter battery and the deep cycle house battery when the engine is not
running. The VSR draws 10mA quiescent which is easily covered by the solar
charger.

Link to VSR:
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/140a-dual-battery-isolator-vsr/p/MB3685

Cheers