[chbot] ESP8266 / compiled C

Geoff sdfgeoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 01:48:08 BST 2016

I tried the arduino addon the other day but was crashing on me. (The esp
was reporting an illegal instruction and then rebooting)

If you're having issues programming it at all, check your wiring. When I
first got my hands on an ESP module, I spent ~3 hours trying to program the
thing, only to discover the issue was a dry joint on the breakout board I'd
made. I've also found it more reliable to hook the boot pins to vcc or gnd
directly.  1k resistor was being unreliable in my early testing.
Remember that when you boot the module there are different boot modes. To
flash it, GPIO 0 should be low when the power is applied. To boot it GPIO 0
should be high. GPIO15 should be low and GPIO2 high for both. I tend to
leave GPIO15 floating, but tie GPIO2 directly to GND. Even a 1K pulldown
was unreliable in some of my testing.

On a side note, the ESP32 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP32>is becoming
available soon <http://www.electrodragon.com/esp32-information/>. It's the
ESP8266's bigger brother with more RAM, hardware PWM, many ADC pins, two
DAC's, and even bluetooth!