[chbot] KiwiSDR - a wideband Software Defined Radio receiver.

Michael Field hamster at snap.net.nz
Fri Mar 18 21:47:55 GMT 2016

Hi,

Yesterday I backed KiwiSDR,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1575992013/kiwisdr-beaglebone-software-defined-radio-sdr-with

"KiwiSDR is a software-defined radio (SDR) covering shortwave, the
longwave & AM broadcast bands, various utility stations, and amateur
radio transmissions, world-wide, in the spectrum from 10 kHz to 30 MHz.
The KiwiSDR is a custom circuit board you connect to an inexpensive
BeagleBone Black <http://beagleboard.org/BLACK> orGreen
<http://seeedstudio.com/wiki/BeagleBone_Green> computer. Add an antenna,
power supply, internet connection, then install the software package to
be running in minutes. An HTML5-capable browser and internet connection
will let you listen to a public KiwiSDR anywhere in the world. Up to
four people can listen simultaneously to one receiver — each listener
tunes independently."

A few prototypes are in the wild... If you want to listen in Tauranga,
click on http://kiwisdr.com:8073/ (4 users at a time).

The board itself is a 14-bit ADC running at 66MS/s, and a 2-bit ADC for
the GPS stream. It talks through to the BeagleBone through SPI to
transfer the spectrum waterfall and audio output. Of course being open
source you can download your own deisgns to the FPGA I am just doing
some numbers on what would be invoved in putting this off grid.

I haven't looked much at SDR, but it seems to be the least expensive
platform I've seen that gives direct access to the ~0 to 30MHz spectrum