[chbot] CAA NPRM Submissions on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones) Close Fri 30 Jan

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 23:03:42 GMT 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Robin Gilks <robin at gilks.org> wrote:

> > At the meeting last night I mentioned that the CAA are taking submissions
> > on their Notice of Proposed Rule Making for Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
> >
> > These are the rules that will govern drones.
> >
> > If you are interested in the proposed rules I encourage you to take a
> > look.
> > http://www.caa.govt.nz/rpas/
> > www.caa.govt.nz/rules/nprms.htm
> >
> > Submissions close on Fri 30 Jan.
> >
> > Spencer
>
> One thing caught my eye and relates to an aircraft that is not directly
> controlled by the operator
> "Be aware that most airspace rules apply to everyone, although there are
> some RPAS/model aircraft that do not have specific Civil Aviation Rules
> governing their activity."
>
> In particular
> "Free-flight aircraft - Once launched - either by hand, electric or
> internal combustion engine or on a towline - these aircraft are no longer
> controlled by the operator."
>
> So if the 'craft is controlled by a set of waypoints from a GPS receiver,
> is it under operator control or not?

A GPS receiver + controller of some sorts is not an operator and would not
be under
operator control.

However, it would not be a free-flight aircraft either as it is still under
some sort of control
(ie. not just in the lap of the gods).

NB Just because there are no specific regulations does not mean that
general regulations do not apply.