[chbot] [OT] tracking party balloons :)

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 7 23:28:02 GMT 2015

Hi All,

I have only just become aware of an apparently quite recent activity
of attaching light weight (11g) radio/uP/GPS payloads to (amongst
other type) regular helium party balloons.

People have been flying weather balloons with
half-a-kilo-of-electronics for years, but it is only quite recently
that power and size have dropped enough to allow this new category.

http://ukhas.org.uk/general:beginners_guide_to_high_altitude_ballooning
	also
http://ukhas.org.uk/projects:microballoons:data

I am told that the CAA take much less interest in the odd free
floating party balloon than they do in larger obstacles.

Temperature is a bit of an issue, since ESR of batteries increases as
temp. drops, and temp drops significantly with altitude.

Still much to learn before having a go.

-mark