[chbot] Misc link from this evening

Yani Dubin yani.dubin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 10:33:36 GMT 2015

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Mark Atherton <markaren1 at xtra.co.nz>
 wrote:

> Hot air pre-heater : Element 14, SKU 2064552
> Briefly touched on re-balling BGAs. Search eBay for "BGA reball", also
> youtube for some tutorials.
> PS I ended getting 320 stencils from Aliexpress for US$32, from RunTop
> Technology CO.,LIMITED who I never want to deal with again.

I have been meaning to email you for some time in response to this
(unfortunately I missed this meeting).

This has been on my TODO list for a while, as I now have 3+ laptops which
have video issues (2 of which I have fixed temporarily by running the hot
air from my rework station over, but which relapsed after days or weeks).
To add insult to injury, I *spent money* on one of the laptops, thinking
the video was sorted, I bought a $30 replacement keyboard off ebay - and
now the thing sits there mocking me. Something must be done.

I was wondering what your reballing experiences were - I gather you've
given it a go?

Did you recommend a particular kit? I seem to recall when I looked into
this a year or so back that there are various approaches to clamping the
stencils to the chip, so would be keen to know what the one you have looks
like, and how well it works.

Hot air pre-heater : Element 14, SKU 2064552

Was this part of the reballing workflow, or an aside? I seem to recall
seeing such a thing in some videos, but not others - I was wondering how
much of a help it was.

PS I ended getting 320 stencils from Aliexpress for US$32, from RunTop
> Technology CO.,LIMITED who I never want to deal with again.

And finally cutting to the chase, how do you feel about lending your 320
stencils (or a subset if I did my homework and found out what the BGA
footprints for each chip were), and do you have surplus solder balls I can
compensate you for monetarily? (or can replace by ordering some of my own
and topping up yours when they arrive). As I have the next two weeks off
work, if you were willing to loan your kit (thus eliminating the lead
time), I was thinking I should give this a go. I am lucky in that one of
them even has a removeable video card - so that would be likely the easiest
to work with.

Regards,
Yani.