[chbot] multiple chocolate fish challenge (or how to search our archives)

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 12 09:59:45 GMT 2014

On Wed 12 Nov 2014 22:20:27 NZDT +1300, Mark Atherton wrote:

> A repeating feature request related to email broadcast system (this
> one)

The technical term for it is "mailing list".

> is the desire to be able to search past postings.

No, don't write software for that. Either such software already exists,
or it doesn't exist because it's not needed. In the past (mailing lists
have been common for well over 20 years) the answer has been to use your
favourite search engine with the "site:" qualifier, as Peter mentioned.
You can easily put a search input field on any web page that adds the
"site:" part automatically, no programming required, just 3 lines of html.

Alternatively, file all your mailing list emails into a separate folder,
each list you are subscribed to into their own (you do that anyway,
don't you?). Then use your favourite tool to do a text search on your
hard disk's location where the folder is stored. No special tools
required.