[chbot] Peer-to-peer remote access box

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 29 23:03:47 BST 2014

On Wed 30 Jul 2014 08:19:51 NZST +1200, Charles Manning wrote:

> Rendezvous is an absolute need for any "peer to peer" system that
> works with devices behind NATs etc.

It is not an absolute need. It is only a need for those who can't make
changes to their NAT system, i.e. configure inbound access.

> The biggest worry I'd have with one of these is that the company goes
> bust and the rendezvous goes away.

Just like your smartphone, then. If their OS vendors go bust you have a
paperweight. Computer museum people don't think it's funny.

> If it is open to other firmware, then that might be fixable.

Or if the firmware is properly designed to allow specified peer
location. Also solves rendezvous server security problems - but not the
Joe Bloggs problem. Joe Bloggs will have a paperweight, just with
everything else he owns that only works with the cloud. A fan of cloud
computing, anyone?