[chbot] OT: Low profile RCB

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jul 13 00:49:10 BST 2014

On Sun 13 Jul 2014 05:38:32 NZST +1200, Richard Jones wrote:

> We're in the process of a bathroom refit and our electrician proposes
> bathroom socket outlets protected by a 16A/30mA RCBO in the fusebox.
> However the old style fusebox has a rather nice rimu wood enclosure
> and does not have the depth to fit the Schneider DOM19803 RCBO which

From a photo in a Schneider PDF catalogue the DOM19803 seems to have the
(sideways) profile of all DIN-rail mounted MCBs, switches and RCDs
(though I have RCDs where the test button sticks out to the front, being
pushed in when closing the door on some switchboard boxes - solution,
move it along the rail). DIN-rail is it these days, everything else is
vastly inferior. The real solution is to fix up your whole switchboard.
Understandably, you'll be reluctant to do that... ;-)

> Can anyone suggest a low profile range of surface mounted RCBs and
> MCBs and where to get them? Something around 75mm depth or less would
> be ideal.

You have surface-mounted ceramic-base holders designed for fuse-wire
inserts? If so, any change to the fixed wiring downstream of the
fuse-wire requires the fuse-wire be replaced with a proper circuit
breaker. Additionally, wet room alterations require RCDs to be fitted to
those outlets. (Both good requirements!)

Check the supply side for those MCB/RCD combinations, but they are
pretty special and space will be a problem. The main brands in NZ are
Schneider, Hager, Merlin, and probably a few others. I was never much
impressed by any of the local electrical shops and got better response
from kiwisparks.co.nz, electricaldirectltd.co.nz
Perhaps Hager MRRHA20

As pointed out, you can get wall outlets with integrated RCDs, expensive
and you have to buy one RCD per outlet, but it might suit you. I don't
think they have a breaker, but perhaps you can fit just a breaker into
your switchboard easier than the combo.

HTH,