[chbot] OT: Low profile RCB

Richard Jones richard.jones.1952 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 18:38:32 BST 2014

Maybe someone can help me out with an off topic electrical wiring
question about residual current circuit breakers with overload
protection.

We're in the process of a bathroom refit and our electrician proposes
bathroom socket outlets protected by a 16A/30mA RCBO in the fusebox.
However the old style fusebox has a rather nice rimu wood enclosure
and does not have the depth to fit the Schneider DOM19803 RCBO which
is massive at 90x130x50mm and will not allow the door to shut. The
proposed solution is to enlarge the box. I suspect that there is a
cheaper and more attractive solution.

Can anyone suggest a low profile range of surface mounted RCBs and
MCBs and where to get them? Something around 75mm depth or less would
be ideal. When the fusebox only contained an isolator switch and fuses
there was plenty of space.

To be honest I'm a little suspicious about the use of a wooden box to
satisfy AS/NZS 3000:2007 Section 1.5.8 "Protection against thermal
effects in normal service. Electrical installations shall be arranged
so that there is no risk of ignition of flammable materials because of
high temperature or electric arc in normal service."

Suggestions anyone?