[chbot] SMD packages

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Wed Feb 26 21:49:08 GMT 2014

On Thu 27 Feb 2014 08:09:00 NZDT +1300, Marshland Engineering wrote:

> I'm looking in general. I had found the Topline page, but I want more!!!
>
> When scrolling through Element 14 list of transistors for example,
> they list the package. I'm was wanting a reference document to see
> what each package looks like. I know I can go into each component,
> but I was looking for a quick reference of all packages so I can
> filter my queries based on the size I want.

Not sure whether there is one. I don't think eagle (or any of the
others) ever in history supplied an overview drawing of all the packages
in a particular footprint library. DIY, but I'm not sure it's that
helpful. Don't you start a design with a datasheet of the component,
which has a case drawing (or reference to a pdf that has)? The cases are
named, is it difficult to find it in the library? How many different
cases do you use? Worst case, how long to make them all yourself?

There's an added problem with SMD and home use - you would want to
ensure it can be hand-soldered, which means you may have to modify the
footprints from the recommended ones. EIA standard ones for "tight"
are definitely out.