[chbot] Open street map on adroid

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Fri Feb 14 06:40:01 GMT 2014

On Fri 14 Feb 2014 17:25:48 NZDT +1300, Andrew Errington wrote:

> If you just want to *look* at the data then Navit is a reasonable
> choice, but take a look at OSMAND too.

Thanks Andrew! Someone made a list sorted by popularity
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Papou/Android
and osmand is the top oss one, ticks all the boxes and is maintained.
Navit is way back. Donating $10 to osmand is worth it if it works
properly.

> Regarding NZ in particular, a long time ago I discovered TUMONZ

Uhhmm, my interest in forking out 400 bucks for a piece if Microsquish
that runs on neither my mobile nor non-mobile computers is less than
zero. 10 years ago it may have been good (with limits), these days
donating to topomaps.co.nz makes way more sense.

> Because I was curious- how to get fresh data for OSMAND:
> https://code.google.com/p/osmand/wiki/HowToDownloadData

Super! Thanks indeed. Looks like there's a clear winner here.

On Fri 14 Feb 2014 17:36:10 NZDT +1300, follower wrote:

> FWIW I've used MapDroyd in the past to view offline OSM data on an
> Android device: <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapDroyd>

Unfortunately it's not only not FOSS, it's also dead-ended.

In what way did you find the FOSS navi apps lacking?

Thanks both for your recommendations,