[chbot] Reprogramming ESM-1000 displays at Monday's meeting.

Spencer Travers spencer.travers at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 02:44:59 BST 2013

I have come up with a procedure to enable the ISP port on the displays we
got at the last meeting. This then allows unrestricted reprogramming of the
device. I have had success with all three displays I tried it on.

The connection between the reset IC and the MCU must be temporarily broken.
I just removed (and later replaced) the reset IC but there are other
options we can explore. Cutting the reset pin directly on the MCU may work.
The relevant trace on the PCB is somewhat obscured by the smart card
socket.

I will bring my gear along to the Monday meeting for anyone who wants to
unlock their display. It would be good to get an idea of how many there are
to do - can you please respond if you want to do this to your display. It
would be helpful if you could prepare by opening the case and removing the
four T5 screws holding the main PCB down. There is no need to remove the
LCD.

Spencer