[chbot] OT: SDR

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jan 1 22:07:49 GMT 2013

Note I have changed the subject to OT: SDR to help archive browsing.

I bought the now obsolete dx.com rtl2832 + E4000 chips a while ago for
experimentation, I also have ordered some rtl2832+R820T receivers which
promise to be a little more sensitive, currently available, and cheaper at
$14.

Using the
https://www.cgran.org/browser/projects/multimode/trunk/multimode.grcreceiver
and gnu radio companion I cobbled together a nbfm digital mobile
radio receiver to receive DMR transissions which are 2 slot TDMA. Adding a
mixer to the front end I could simultaneously decode multiple transmit and
receive frequencies used in a wired trunked radio network site. All this
with exact relative timing, but limited dynamic range.

Over Christmas I finally got around to using the RTL2832 for DVB-T
reception, their original purpose. I can now record and replay digital TV
on my laptop using ubuntu 12.04 and keffeine, next stop mythtv. The delay
in getting around this was caused by needing a newer linux kernel and the
upgrade was finally prompted by a dying HDD in my laptop. Ubuntu 12.04
kaffeine requires an updated channel list for sugarloaf, I found this
useful info somewhere on the web :
# T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
#
# Multiplex TVNZ, UHF channel 34
T 578000000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 AUTO
#  Multiplex TVWorks, UHF Channel 32
T 562000000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 AUTO
# Multiplex Kordia, UHF Channel 36
T 594000000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64 8k 1/16 AUTO

The next application to try will be ADS-B aircraft transponder display that
Stuart Brown showed me, but I think the best apps are currently available
for Windows and my 4 year old Windows OS backup CDs don't read at the
moment, and I'm not exactly keen to pay again for something I already paid
for.

Anyone else have info to share on Software Defined Radio activities?

Richard